- Exceeds all IPF standards.
- Extra wide, 73-inch lifting area.
- Absence of lower rear crossmember provides more room for the spotter to operate.
- Hooks/hangers easily slide for width adjustment via linear bearings.
- Hangers are constructed from a single piece of uncut steel that encircle the mounting point above.
- Chrome-plated Olympic plate storage pegs are welded through the uprights.
- Upper assembly is fully welded for maximum strength and to ensure proper geometry during setup.
- Upper assembly tilts on bearings, rather than using a bolt as the pivot point.
Monolifts, are by their very purpose, very serious devices, and the Legend Fitness Monolift w/Plate Storage (3908) certainly looks the part. To endure the sorts of loads that powerlifters demand, you expect to find features like a frame built from 4×4-inch, 11 gauge tubing. But, a massive-looking frame is only a part of what makes a device that needs to have a lot of resistance to impact forces. To understand how strong a monolift is, you also must look at every component between the hooks and the frame as well, and we were shocked at some of the weak points we found when we examined some of the lifts that were already out on the market.
The 3908 has no such concerns. Each hook is constructed from a 1.25×1.5-inch tube welded in between two pieces of laser-cut, 3/8-inch steel plate that completely encircle a short span, 1-inch solid steel rod above. The contact points on the hook are 1.5-inch thick ultra-high molecular weight (UHMW) polymer that protects the knurling on bars and helps absorb impact energy in emergency situations. These polymer contact points are replaceable, secured by five 1/2-inch bolts. The width between the hooks can be easily and smoothly adjusted thanks to linear bearings rolling on chrome-plated steel. To top it all off (literally) the entire upper assembly is fully welded for rigidity and to ensure that all the geometry is square before someone steps underneath, and it all tilts on tough pillow block bearings.
Other expected features are there, such as a smooth-operating pump jack, a thick safety pin with height settings in 25 increments, resistance band pegs, web strap safeties, and robust bar catches that quickly fall back. Some features on the 3908 that are less common include the previously mentioned class-leading efforts to maximize strength and rigidity; abundant plate storage on fully welded, chrome-plated Olympic pegs; plenty of room for a spotter; and UHMW-encased storage pegs for bands, chains, etc.
It took us a little while to bring a monolift to the market, but we wanted to make sure that when we did, it represented the best that the market had to offer.
Also available without plate storage as item 3907.