- Provides seven height options, from six to 42 inches.
- Engages stabilization muscles more than traditional steel boxes.
- Removing the risk of shin pain encourages the user to attempt higher jumps, resulting in greater gains.
- Round design eliminates unstable corner landings.
One of the most popular and effective plyometric tools that Legend Fitness offers are the Performance Plyo Cushions. Don’t let the name mislead you – these aren’t fancy pillows or a distant cousin of that vinyl ottoman your aunt kept in front of her La-Z-Boy. These are actually really clever devices with a lot of thoughtful touches.
Let’s introduce them to you through a series of FAQs:
HOW ARE THEY MADE?
- First, they are constructed from a very firm, dense foam. Try to pillow fight with these and you’ll leave a mark. After all, full-grown men will be jumping on them.
- Second, they come as three pieces of varying heights (six, 12 and 24 inches), so they can be mixed and matched to provide you with seven height options for your exercises, from six to 42 inches. Enormous Velcro tabs around the edges secure the segments to one another.
- Lastly, the skins on these are crafted from a heavy duty tarp material that can withstand the repeated beatings of linebacker bunny hops. Feel free to think of it as Smurf leather, except with a grid pattern texture that offers additional traction for when they get sweaty.
WHY CUSHIONS INSTEAD OF BOXES?
- While they may not necessarily be soft, they do “give” more than welded steel plyo boxes, causing the user to make minute adjustments with their ankles and knees, strengthening connective tissue along the way and requiring greater participation from stabilization muscles.
- The “give” of the plyo cushion results in a low-impact exercise, especially when leaping from one plyo segment to another.
- Since they aren’t made from shin-scraping steel, the user is encouraged to dig deeper and attempt higher jumps, resulting in greater gains.
- The stiff foam provides a rebound effect for non-bouncing D-balls up to 100 pounds in weight.
WHY ARE THEY ROUND?
- In direct contrast to those of many competitors, our cushions aren’t square. That’s because there isn’t a stability compromise if you were to land on the edge. Put all of your weight on the corner of a foam square, and you’ll risk doing the Humpty onto your head.
WHY ARE THEY BLUE?
- They are also available in black. So the cushions can be black and blue instead of your shins. Or something like that.
There is a blog post featuring this product. Read it here.